Jones Brothers Distributing Company, located at 115 West Third Street in Little Rock, was started by Calvin Jones, Sr. and
his three young sons - Calvin Jr., Madison, and Monroe in 1924. Calvin Jr. eventually
became the sole owner of the business.
In the early 1930s, he met Harold Schmidt, a traveling salesman for the A.E. Schmidt Company, in St. Louis. Calvin Jr. and
Harold Schmidt soon became friends and business associates.
Calvin Jones Jr. became
seriously ill in 1959 and asked Harold Schmidt to purchase Jones Brothers from him.
The name Jones Brothers was not changed
because of its long-time recognition and popularity as the sole billiard supply house in Arkansas. Later on, the company was shifted to 313 West Third Street in Little Rock.
Harold's son, Bob Schmidt, joined the family business as an apprentice billiard mechanic in the 1970s. His work involved covering pool tables, sewing leather pockets, and installing pool tables. He became a full-time billiard mechanic in 1973.
The business of Jones Brothers expanded in 1976 with the selling of Brunswick pool tables. The billiard room was eventually closed and divided into a showroom and a workshop that included a warehouse.
The location of Jones Brothers was again changed in 1981 to its custom-built, 10,000-square foot building at 309 W. Broadway in North Little Rock. During this year, Bob Schmidt took over the management of the business.
His cousin, James Spangler, joined Jones Brothers in 2001. He represents the sixth generation of Schmidts in the family business.